Friday, September 5, 2008

The Natural Way

Okay so all of you know that I have given birth to 4 children without the need of drugs. I did not do this to be a hero. I was to afraid of the side effects of the drugs they offered and worried to much what would happen if I was not in control of my own body. So thankfully I been blessed to have given birth to 4 beautiful children with no worries. This in it self is the miracle. Also with each child I have gone faster and faster so the reality of drugs was never an issue.

So the process of finding a doctor in Bellingham,WA you would think would be easy, NO!!! There is only 6 ob/gyn's in the whole county and 4 belong to the same practice. I was able to get into the practice with the 4 doctors only because the other 2 were not taking any new patients. With the choice of 4 doctors you would think that one would be friendly, love the idea that women are giving birth, and maybe a little kind. The answer is, NO! I hated all 4 of my appointments and yes I had 4 appointments before I was 4 months along. The 1st was (as they stated) to make sure the pregnancy was viable which took 2 hours. I will never know why. 2nd appointment was just to meet a nurse and go over my family history, decide on genetic testing and to let me know that I would not be able to choose 1 doctor to see but that I would have to see all the doctors throughout my pregnancy. I was very disappointed. I have never had to see more than 1 doctor. 3rd appointment was just a ultra sound and the 4th was a visit with a nurse that decided I did not need to see the doctor because I would not do any genetic testing. After all of this chaos I decided that I would choose an alternative way-Midwife. I know all of you may think that this is crazy but if you only had the few choices that I had you would be doing the same thing.

Winnie is my mid wife and I have seen her 3 times now and she is wonderful. She is the most kindest person that you could ever meet. She always gives a hug when I arrive and leave. Welcomes my children to come to the visit and speaks to them. She also is not judgmental that I am having my fifth baby. She is very aware of all complications that can occur and is willing to transfer me to the hospital if needed which is only 5 minutes away. I am not giving birth at home but at the Bellingham Birthing Center (www.bellinghambirthcenter.com). I went there today for my visit and it is so beautiful. You have three choices of rooms and each room feels like a real bedroom. No hospital smell, machines everywhere, but just a relaxing environment. After I give birth I will go home within 5 hours and be with my family. Jim will have to really step up and help. Cross your fingers everyone!!

I just wanted to share my little birth plan and hope that I have not scared anyone. I feel so good about it and know that the hospital is right there. My pregnancy has gone very well and she sees no complications thus far. It is just exciting to know that I will not give birth with doctors who do not care about their patients but only the amount of patients they can squeeze in for a profit.

6 comments:

Mike, Suzann and Family said...

I think that is great Janeal! It sounds like Winnie was an answer to your prayers after your horrible visits. Our family wishes you the best of luck.

Shelli said...

I think you're a perfect candidate for this kind of birth experience. You've already had four kids naturally, so you know what to expect. It's good to know that you're that close to the hospital, because the unexpected is really the only reason to give birth in a hospital anyway. Go for it, and good luck!

Amanda said...

I think that's fantastic!!! If I hadn't found a doctor that I really liked, I was going to go to a midwife. I'm so glad you found someone you enjoy and makes you comfortable. Good Luck!!

Vidal's Nest said...

I would have preferred a midwife to the Drs that I had here! I think they put me at risk.
I have heard fantastic stories of midwife's, so I think this is a really smart way for you to go!

DANI KYNASTON said...

I say that having someone that you trust is the most important thing. The most important thing for me is being heard. I need to feel like a real person. Having someone supportive of your 5th pregnancy is a big plus as well. My doc has been amazing that way, too. Good luck! You should do just fine - you are a birthing machine!

Lynda said...

I believe everyone needs to go with their heart and their "gut instincts". If you feel like this is the way to go, then that's the best thing for you and your family. Although going home with a new baby and four at home in 5 hours seems kind of masochistic to me...LOL
Start prepping Jimmy now for all the things he needs to do. And it wouldn't be bad for you to lie around and tell him what to do so you both get in the habit! BIG grin
Can't wait to hear all about it!
Aunt Lynda