Sunday, August 17, 2008

Mackenzie is an offical Youth Speaker

It was quite the day at church today. We had two accomplishments. 1. Mackenzie gave her first talk as a youth speaker and 2.I was asked to give the closing prayer(so not me). These miracles were witnessed by our fabulous ward and my husband. He was so supportive and took the time before he had to be at work to support Mackenzie on her special day. Now, there are no pictures to capture this once in a life time opportunity but I assure all of you that if you were not present you will ever see this again(me giving a prayer or talk). I am terrified of speaking in public and the idea to pray of front of all those eyes was even more horrifying.I am so glad we close our eyes to pray. Mackenzie though, was fabulous. She made us laugh and talked as if she had done this before. We are so proud of her and she has grown so much it is unreal!!! It so amazing to see your children grow in the gospel. I never think that I have done enough but when they shine on their own, you get this sense of satisfaction. It is feeling that is unexplainable.

6 comments:

Vidal's Nest said...

I hate giving prayers in church or talks. If they call and I talk to them I say no. If Tony answers he says yes. I hate it so much! Good for you to agree!
Way to go Mackenzie!!Can't believe you are old enough to be the youth speaker! Wow!

Shelli said...

Congratulations! How exciting for both of you. It never gets better, does it, that fear and the butterflies in your stomach. I'm so proud of her, and I'm glad she did a good job!

Unknown said...

Good job Mackenzie!! Now it is mom"s turn to speak in Sacrament. Put in a good word to the bishopric for her Mackenzie.

DANI KYNASTON said...

Congratulations! I love how the church gives us the opportunity to talk at such young ages. It helps with so much in life. I hate praying in public too. I don't know why. I would actually rather give a talk.

Ginger said...

I am so glad you are in a good ward where they recognise your talents and appreciate you as we do. I am sure both the talk and prayer were great. If you ever have a choice, go for the closing prayer, not opening. People are tired and don't listen. I once heard a young girl give the opening prayer and she said, "Bless the speakers that no harm or accident will come to them." Most people didn't even notice, but it is now one of my favorite prayer stories.

jenn gent said...

Great blog!! I will be checking it out.

Mackenzie did a great job and it was fun to listen to.

And I'm with you Janeal on giving prayers and talks - I hate it and avoid it like the plague.