Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bue and Gold Dinner





This year I volunteered with my friend Leah to coordinate the Blue and Gold Dinner for scouts. It was a blast because I love parties. I love to come up with creative ideas with food, decorations and everything in between. This year was extra special, I forgot that I would have a newborn at my side by the time the dinner came but everything went fabulous. The theme was AMERICA. So easy!! We had fun with everything RED, WHITE and BLUE(thank you to my other friend Lyhea who throws a fab Fourth of July party every year and had all the the decor!!)

Now this all took place in February. I know I am late to post this but I was waiting for Jim to download the pics from his camera. We left in the morning to decorate the church with sleet falling from the sky. None of us thought very much about it because it sleets all the time and never becomes much more. We had the church extra fabulous went home and finish up the preparations for the food and snow began to fall heavy. It was not sticking to the ground so I breathe a sigh of relief. We were also having a BAR-B-QUE which in the Northwest we never let a little weather ruin a great party. We had a pop up canopy outside to protect the cooks from the rain, sleet or whatever may fall from the sky. I finished getting everyone ready packed the car with the family and headed to the church. This is at 4:30 and there was no snow falling at this point. Dinner was to start at 6:30. I thought we will be just fine. NO, we were not. Within a 30 minute period snow had started to fall and stick to the ground and left 3 inches. We had already begun cooking burgers before the snow started falling and we were ready for everyone to come.

Thank goodness Mackenzie had her phone because she was texted that they had canceled YW/YM due to the roads. This sent up a red flag that they were going to cancel the Dinner. I started to cry because we had already begun cooking and what were going to do with all the food?? Eat it of course and do the dinner tomorrow!!! It was a great success even a day later.

I wanted to share my centerpieces with you. I have seen the cookie baskets and thought that I could create something similar. I wanted a treat for all the kids to take home and came up with this idea. I made star cookies on sticks(baked them with sprinkles because I did not want to frost 96 cookies). I put them in clay pots with ribbon and raffia. I also found star garland to wrap around. I used Styrofoam balls to hold the cookies in the pots. Very fun to do and easy!!! You can be creative and create whatever type of centerpiece for any occasion.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

I love the cookie idea, I might have to steal it. It looks great. Your new blog look is fabulous. You are getting good at this.

sherry said...

Welcome Back! I love the new layout, and I love the centerpieces! We just had our blue and gold banquet too, with the same theme and colors. Our very first with our 8 year old. It was lovely, but yours looks fantastic! Were you able to just leave the decor up for the next night? It must stink to have to deal with things like snow. Iwouldn't know what that is like;) Your Emmet has gotten so big! He definately looks bigger than Abigail. How much does he weigh? I love a good art project, and may follow your example and pick up some projects for today, the last day of spring break. So fun to see what your fam has been up to!